Vehicle Replacement FAQ

Vehicle Replacement Frequently Asked Questions

Which cars can be retired and replaced?

Your current light-duty vehicle must be 1999 or older and fail emissions.

You must have owned it for at least 6 months.

The vehicle needs to have been in California for the past 2 years.

Which areas of California does this program cover? 

You must reside within the jurisdiction of the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District.

  • Fresno County
  • Kern County (partial)
  • Kings County
  • Madera County
  • Merced County
  • San Joaquin County
  • Stanislaus County
  • Tulare County

My car is under my family member’s name. Can I apply for the program under my name?

Unfortunately, no. The name on the application must match the name of the owner.

My car is under my family member’s name, but I am on the insurance.
Can I apply for the program under my name?

Unfortunately, no. The name on the application must match the name of the owner – an insured driver does not count.

I just bought my car – can I retire and replace it?

No, the vehicle needs to have been in your name for at least 6 months.

Where can you purchase the replacement vehicle from?

The replacement vehicle must be purchased from one of our authorized dealers:

Can I purchase a pickup truck as my replacement vehicle?

No, we can only replace vehicles with cars or minivans that meet our MPG and emissions requirements. Pickup trucks do not qualify at this time.

Can I purchase a used car as my replacement vehicle?

Yes! We encourage our customers to find qualified used vehicles with low mileage. The car must be 2012 or newer.

What other requirements does the replacement vehicle need to meet?

* 2012 OR NEWER

* Less than 100,000 miles on the odometer – ideally less than 80,000 miles

* Finance rate not to exceed 15.99%

* No active vehicle safety recalls

* Vehicle must meet the minimum combined fuel economy requirements listed on table below. (

                                                       CARS                                           MINIVANS

Model Year                             MPG                                          MPG        

2012                                            28                                                 21

2013                                            29                                                 21

2014                                            30                                                 21

2015                                            31                                                 21

2016                                            36                                                 23

2017                                            37                                                 23

2018                                            37                                                 23

Can I apply for this program online?

Yes! Please visit the online application HERE.
Please contact our staff  if your need assistance with the online application.

You can call us at 209-451-8987 or 209-430-8821.

What information do you need?

1.    Smog repair voucher from a Tune In & Tune Up event or a recent smog test showing an emissions failure (either of these dated within last 6 months)
2.    2 years vehicle registration (2017 – present)
3.    2 years proof of vehicle insurance (2017 – present)
4.    Vehicle title with your name listed as owner
5.    First 2 pages of 2018 1040 tax return (You can mask the SSN – we don’t need it!)
6.    First page of current utility bill
7.    Driver’s license

Is it okay if my registration or insurance is not current?

We don’t require current registration or insurance. However, your application may/may not be approved depending on other factors.

Why do you need all of the documents you request?

We need this information to determine your eligibility and income level. The more documents you can provide us with, the easier it will be to process your application.

What if I don’t have a tax return?  What if I receive SSI checks?

That’s okay. We request this information to determine your income level. Please bring whatever financial documents that you have for the year (check stubs, bank statements, etc.) that help to calculate your yearly income.

What happens to my current vehicle?

It is collected on the day you purchase your new car. It will be destroyed by a vehicle recycling company.

Do you have to be ‘low-income’ to qualify for this program?

You need to be at or below 400% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) to qualify as “low-income.” We use your yearly income and number of household members to calculate this. There are different tiers for incentive amounts depending on what your income level is. If you are at or below 225% according to the chart below, you can receive the maximum incentive amount:


Family Size 225% Federal Poverty Income Guidelines for 2018
1 $27,315
2 $37,035
3 $46,755
4 $56,475
5 $66,195
6 $75,915
7 $85,635
8 $95,355

My income is higher than 225%.
How do I calculate my Federal Poverty Level?

Please use this table to calculate using your annual income and family size.

Persons in Household Combined Household
300% 400%
1 $36,420 $48,560
2 $49,380 $65,840
3 $62,340 $83,120
4 $75,300 $100,400
5 $88,260 $117,680
6 $101,220 $134,960
7 $114,180 $152,240
8 $127,140 $169,520
Add $4,320 for each person over 8

What are incentive amount can you qualify for at <225% FPL?

Incentive amounts are based on the customers’ income level and the type of replacement vehicle they purchase. There are higher incentives for cleaner cars.

Maximum Incentive Amounts:

Electric Vehicle                                                      $9,500

Plug-In Hybrid                                                         $9,500

Hybrid MPG 35+                                                    $7,000

Hybrid MPG 20+                                                    $6,500

Gas car MPG 35+                                                  $4,500

Gas car (see MPG requirements above)    $4,000

What incentive amounts can you qualify for at <300% FPL?                         

$ 5,000 Hybrid

$ 7,500 Plug In or Electric

What incentive amounts can you qualify for at <400% FPL?          

$ 5,500 Plug In or Electric

Can I have cash instead of a down payment check?

No. Our program only provides down payment checks as incentives for residents to purchase cleaner vehicles.

What phone number can I call to speak to someone about this program?

Please call 209-451-8987 or 209-430-8821.