HOW IT WORKS
Once you obtain proof of emissions failure, you can submit an application! After your application is approved, you can shop for a newer, cleaner car at one of our authorized dealers.
We will give the dealer the check for the down payment. The amount of incentive check that you receive is dependent on your income level and the type of new vehicle you purchase. Cleaner vehicles receive higher incentives! We encourage our customers to upgrade to the cleanest models possible. New vehicles must be 2014 or newer and meet our MPG requirements. See our FAQ page for more details.
We will collect your old car for retirement on the day that you take home your new vehicle. All retirement cars are destroyed and recycled so that they are no longer able to pollute our Valley air!
Recently failed smog/emissions test (within last 6 months)
Model year 1999 or older (1999, 1998, 1997…)
Has resided in CA for the past 2 years
Under your ownership for at least 6 months
Household income must be at or below 400% of federal poverty level. We use a copy of your tax return or W-2 for your most recent year to determine household income and number of persons in household.
You must reside within the jurisdiction of the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District.
1. $500 smog repair voucher from a Tune In & Tune Up event, or a recent failed ASM emissions test (within the past 6 months)
2. 2 years vehicle registration (2019 – present if you have it)
3. 2 years proof of vehicle insurance (2019 – present if you have it)
4. Vehicle title (You must have owned your car for at least 6 months) (Needs to be under your name for at least 6 months)
5. First 2 pages of 2020 1040 tax return (You can cover the SSN, we don’t need it)
6. First page of current PG&E or SoCal Edison bill (It does not have to be under your name)
7. Valid CA Driver’s License
If you qualify for a plug-in replacement vehicle, we will help you apply for other rebates that you are eligible through your utility provider! Our team will guide you through the application and send it in for you. You must live at an address covered by PG&E or SCE to apply.