Vehicle Replacement FAQ

Vehicle Replacement Frequently Asked Questions

Which cars can be retired and replaced?

Your current vehicle must be 1999 or older and fail emissions. You must have owned it for at least 6 months. The vehicle needs to have been in California for the past 2 years.

Which areas of California does this program cover? 

You must reside within the jurisdiction of the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District.

● Fresno County

● Kern County (partial)

● Kings County

● Madera County

● Merced County

● San Joaquin County

● Stanislaus County

● Tulare County

My car is under my family member’s name. Can I apply for the program under my name?

Unfortunately, no. The name on the application must match the name of the owner.

Where can you purchase the replacement vehicle from?

The replacement vehicle must be purchased from one of our authorized dealers, such as CarMax Bakersfield, Michael’s Bakersfield, and CarMax Modesto. Please contact our staff for a full listing.

Can I purchase a truck as my replacement vehicle?

No, we can only replace vehicles with cars that meet our MPG and emissions requirements. Trucks do not qualify at this time.

Can I purchase a used car as my replacement vehicle?

Yes! We encourage our customers to find used vehicles with low mileage that are cleaner than their retirement vehicles.

Can I apply for this program online?

Yes! Please visit the online application HERE.

What information do you need?

1. Voucher from the event or recent failed emissions test (within last 3 months)
2. 2 years registration (2016 – present)
3. 2 years proof of insurance (2016 – present)
4. Vehicle title
5. First 2 pages of 2017 1040 tax return (You can mask the SSN – we don’t need it!)
6. First page of current PG&E bill
7. Driver’s License

Is it okay if my registration or insurance is not current?

We don’t require current registration or insurance – you can still apply! However, your application may/may not be approved depending on other factors.

Why do you need all of the documents you request?

We need this information to determine your eligibility and income level. The more items you can provide us with, the easier it will be to process your application.

What if I don’t have a tax return?  What if I receive SS checks?

That’s okay. We request this information to determine your income level. Please bring whatever financial documents that you have for the year (check stubs, bank statements, etc.) that show your yearly income.

What happens to my current vehicle?

It is collected on the day you purchase your new car. It will be destroyed by a vehicle recycling company.

Do you have to be ‘low-income’ to qualify for this program?

You need to be at or below 400% of the Federal Poverty Level to qualify for an incentive check. We use your yearly income and number of household members to calculate this. There are different tiers for check amounts depending on what your income level is.

How do you determine the incentive amount for each customer?

Incentive amounts are based on the customers’ income level and the type of replacement vehicle they purchase. There are higher incentives for cleaner cars.

“Up to $9,500 for a down payment” – Can I  just have cash instead?

No. Our program provides down payment checks as incentives for residents to purchase cleaner vehicles.

What phone number can I call to speak to someone about this program?

Please call: 209-451-8987 or 209-430-8821.